Rural Development (RD) / Rental Assistance

HUD offers the Public Housing (PH), Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) and Affordable Housing/Low Income Housing Tax Credit (AH/LIHTC) programs. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) only has one program known as Rental Assistance. This program is administered in rural areas of the country. Rental assistance (RA) is not located in metropolitan cities. Generally, these are communities of fewer than 10,000 persons except that certain communities between 10,000 and 25,000 population are considered rural based on their distance from urban areas.

The USDA/RD program provides funding to communities. The funding will cover the entire property meaning every unit will receive rental assistance or it can only cover a certain number of units in the community. Even if Rental assistance (RA) is not given to each unit, the rents for the property are significantly lower than the rents in the surrounding area.

Learn more or to validate whether or not property is in a rural area.

Determine eligibility for certain USDA home loan programs >>

Search for Rural Development communities near you >>


Looking for Rental Assistance?'s advanced search tool and housing assistance program information makes it simple and convenient to find your new home fast. We offer pre-applications for all qualifying housing assistance programs near you!

  • Public Housing(PH)
  • Housing Choice Voucher (HCV)
  • Affordable Housing (MF/Senior)
  • Rural Housing (RH)

View Income Limits in your Area >>